A trolling fishing reel is a special type of fishing reel that is designed to be used while trolling. Trolling is a fishing technique where the boat is slowly moved through the water while dragging lures or bait behind it. Trolling reels are typically larger and stronger than other types of fishing reels, and they have features that make them ideal for trolling, such as high line capacity, smooth drag systems, and level winds.
Types of trolling fishing reels
There are two main types of trolling fishing reels: conventional and spinning.
- Conventional trolling reels are also known as baitcasting reels. They are popular among experienced anglers because they offer precise control over the line and bait placement.
- Spinning trolling reels are a good option for beginners because they are easy to use. They are also versatile and can be used for a variety of fishing techniques, besides trolling.
How to choose the right trolling fishing reel
When choosing a trolling fishing reel, there are a few key factors to consider:
- Line capacity: The line capacity of the reel is the amount of fishing line that it can hold. For deep-sea trolling, you will need a reel with a high line capacity.
- Gear ratio: The gear ratio determines how fast the spool rotates. A higher gear ratio means faster line retrieval.
- Drag system: The drag system is important for controlling the line when fighting fish. Look for a reel with a smooth and powerful drag system.
- Durability: Trolling reels are subjected to harsh saltwater conditions, so it is important to choose a reel that is made from durable materials.
- Ball bearings: More ball bearings in a reel generally results in smoother operation and reduced friction.
Benefits of using a quality trolling fishing reel
There are many benefits to using a quality trolling fishing reel, including:
- Increased catch rate: Precision and control provided by these reels enhance your chances of hooking and landing fish.
- Reduced fatigue: Smooth line retrieval and ergonomic handles reduce angler fatigue during long battles.
- Versatility: Trolling reels are suitable for various fishing techniques, from trolling to bottom fishing.
- Longevity: Quality reels are built to withstand harsh conditions, ensuring years of reliable performance.
Tips for maintaining your trolling reel
To ensure your trolling fishing reel stays in optimal condition, follow these maintenance tips:
- Rinse your reel with freshwater: After each fishing trip, rinse your reel with freshwater to remove salt and debris.
- Lubricate moving parts: Lubricate moving parts to prevent corrosion.
- Store your reel in a cool, dry place: Store your reel in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight.
- Replace your fishing line regularly: Replace your fishing line regularly to prevent weak spots and breakage during battles.
- Have your reel serviced by a professional: Periodically, have your reel serviced by a professional to address any internal issues and keep it in top shape.
Choosing the right trolling fishing reel is an important decision for any angler. By considering your fishing style, target species, and budget, you can find the best trolling reel for your needs. With proper maintenance, your trolling reel will provide years of reliable service and help you catch more fish.